Ontario is an enormous majestic province stuffed with spectacular pure vistas, out of doors actions, and enjoyable issues to do. This ought to be no shock should you’ve learn our posts and adopted alongside on our journeys. Though our day journeys and weekend getaways are fairly standard, nothing beats an excellent old style multi-day street journey –– particularly when it includes one other province or state. Enter the traditional Thunder Bay to Winnipeg street journey.
The Thunder Bay to Winnipeg drive through the Trans-Canada Freeway is gorgeous. The difficult half, nevertheless, is selecting the place to cease alongside the best way and what to pack for the journey. Winnipeg, or The Peg, because the locals realize it, is within the province of Manitoba, which is unbelievable in its personal proper, with gorgeous prairies, countless lakes, and provincial parks.
Fortunately for you, you’ve received us, and we’ve ready the proper Thunder Bay to Winnipeg street journey information.
What Is the Distance Between Thunder Bay and Winnipeg?
One vital element we should always begin with: how far is Thunder Bay from Winnipeg? The easy reply is the gap between Winnipeg and Thunder Bay is round 700 kilometres. This drive might be finished in round eight hours, requiring a continuous journey alongside the Trans-Canada Freeway.
However as , we’re all about getting off the freeway to search out hidden gems. That mentioned, we’ve received some important tricks to make your drive fun-filled and relaxed.
Ideas For a Thunder Bay to Winnipeg Drive
Earlier than we get began, there are some things we thought we should always point out, particularly about this street journey and street journeys basically. Listed below are a few of our prime ideas for a clean Thunder Bay – Winnipeg street journey:
- Refill on gasoline at each probability you get – gasoline stations are few and much between on this drive. For instance, stops on Day 1 are normally an hour to an hour and half-hour aside.
- It’s actually useful to have your route downloaded in your cellphone. This may be essential, as cell sign might weaken alongside the drive. You’ll find directions on how to do that for Google Maps HERE.
We heard by way of the grapevine that the power to obtain Apple’s maps would even be coming to their iOS.
- Concerning telephones and maps, ensure you may have a cellphone charger to plug into your automotive. In case you depend on your cellphone’s map, you have to preserve your cellphone charged. Having a bodily copy of the map is at all times a good suggestion.
- Load up on snacks, fruit and water. We extremely advocate getting an entire load of snacks in Thunder Bay. Our suggestions embody stopping at Bay Meats Butcher Store for delectable beef jerky, Chocolate Cow for chocolate, Cheese from Thunder Oak Cheese Farm, and a set of Thunder Bay Country Market goodies.
Keep in mind that they’re solely open on Wednesdays from 15:30 to 18:30 and Saturdays from 08:00 till 13:00.
- Why not make a playlist prematurely to remain entertained as a passenger? This manner, you can also make the journey extra memorable. In any other case, try this publish for some enjoyable details about Ontario. Who is aware of? You would possibly all study one thing new.
Thunder Bay to Winnipeg, Manitoba Street Journey
Visiting Thunder Bay is a incredible concept; stuffed with sights, historical past and gorgeous nature. Actually, try our latest publish on issues to do in Thunder Bay for some inspiration. Thunder Bay is a captivating metropolis on the shore of Gitchi Gumee or Lake Superior. There’s something for everybody, from its artsy and ever-growing downtown to its surrounding provincial parks.
The street journey is equally full of terrific stops alongside the best way, whether or not that’s parks, museums, or an enormous moose statue. However sufficient delaying, let’s hit the street and get into the Thunder Bay – Winnipeg drive.
Day 1: Thunder Bay to Kenora
Length: Round 5 hours 45 minutes
The Eddy Restaurant
When you’ve stuffed up on gasoline and packed the automotive, you’ll drive for round 25 minutes (28 kilometres) till you attain your first cease, which is The Eddy Restaurant. An ideal place to get a tasty breakfast or brunch. These stunning folks make EVERYTHING from scratch!
We extremely advocate The Eddy Burger. Two 4oz patties topped with smoked cheese, bacon onion jam, home roasted garlic with basil tomatoes layered on prime of spring combine, and home pickles, then drizzled with blue cheese sauce all packed right into a toasty brioche bun brushed with dijon aioli. That bacon onion jam is unbelievable!
We additionally advocate the Beer Battered Cod Fillets. Delicate, flaky cod wrapped in a coat of sunshine and crisp batter. Served with their very own coleslaw, lemon wedges and The Eddy particular tartar sauce. Additionally contains hand-cut fries.
Kababeka Falls Provincial Park
Down the road from The Eddy is Kakabeka Falls Provincial Park – residence to Ontario’s second-highest vertical waterfall at over 40 metres. Often known as the Niagara of the North, this waterfall is an impressive sight and a incredible place to go.
Fortunately for everybody, it’s additionally a straightforward spot to get to. It is because it’s wheelchair accessible and begins from the car parking zone. Moreover, it has a viewing platform, a pedestrian bridge, and views of the Kaministiquia River and the gorge under.
The falls present the proper alternative to discover the encircling space, which you most likely gained’t have time for, however should you do, the two.5-kilometre-looped Little Falls Path descends into the gorge. Some longer trails embody the 4-kilometre Poplar Level Path, the 4.5-kilometre Beaver Meadows Path, and the three.5-kilometre River Terrace Path.
Central/Japanese Normal Time Zone marker
Subsequent, we advocate driving to the Central/Japanese Normal Time Zone marker, which can take round 50 minutes (76 kilometres). Right here, you may seize a shot good in your Insta feed earlier than persevering with. Or you may transfer from one aspect of the marker to a different and faux you’re time travelling! It’s a one-hour distinction.
The following half includes various driving, so swap together with your accomplice should you really feel like a break. Then, after an hour and half-hour (143 kilometres), you’ll attain Ignace. Tower Hill is a superb place to go to — a lookout with gorgeous views of the encircling woods and the city. It’s a terrific pitstop to stretch your legs and catch a breather.
Then head into city to take a look at the Twin Beech plane, a hidden gem on the aspect of the street. That is additionally an excellent time to prime up your gasoline. Then pop into Robin’s and, prime up your snacks, your water and seize a espresso.
Now, you’ll drive for an additional hour and 10 minutes earlier than reaching Dryden. This pleasant metropolis is the proper spot to get a chew to eat, refill your gasoline should you didn’t already in Ignace, and see some sights. I like to recommend testing Max the Moose, a 5.6-metre-high statue that’s been a proud image for Dryden since July 1962.
One other must-see is the Roy Wilson Suspension Bridge, which is 34 metres and is above the Wabigoon River. Lastly, there’s the Dryden & District Museum, the place you may study all concerning the space’s historical past. Admission is $4 per particular person.
Lastly, you’ll finish Day 1 with an hour and 33-minute drive (138 kilometres) to Kenora. This metropolis is the final massive cease earlier than rolling into Manitoba’s rolling prairies. That’s why we advocate spending an evening right here. Don’t stress. We’ve received some nice suggestions for the place to remain and what to do.
The place To Keep in Kenora
You’ll want someplace to get some relaxation, so listed below are our suggestions:
- Nature’s Inn Kenora – Simply off the Trans Canada Freeway, that is the proper place to remain for street trippers. They’ve spacious rooms with free Wi-Fi, a mini-fridge, a microwave, and coffee-making amenities. What’s extra, we stayed right here and completely loved it. Costs begin from $144 per evening.
- Big Narrows Resort – This spot is right should you favor one thing nearer to nature. It’s on Lake of the Woods, so that you’ll get some gorgeous views. Every cabin has a totally geared up kitchen, a barbeque, an out of doors deck, and an en-suite lavatory. Costs begin from $125 per evening.
What To Do in Kenora
There are such a lot of enjoyable issues to do in Kenora, however listed below are our favourites:
- Redditt Bottle Home – This fabulous constructing is simply 25 minutes outdoors Kenora. It’s a small home utterly made out of glass bottles created by locals Hank and Myrtle Deverell within the 70s. It’s accompanied by a glass windmill, a glass residence of the three bears, an elf’s backyard, and a wishing effectively. Admission is donation-based.
- Lake of the Woods Brewing Firm – In case you love craft beer as a lot as we do, you have to try this brewery. They make all types of beers, together with a blueberry ale. Excursions begin at $25 per particular person (comparatively cheap for a tour).
Day 2: Kenora to Winnipeg
Length: 3 hours 45 minutes
Day 2 begins in Kenora, the place it’s best to seize one thing to eat earlier than setting off. Two terrific spots are HoJoe Espresso & Eatery and Cottage Time Public Home. HoJoe affords delectable espresso, baked items, and all the standard breakfast choices. Cottage Time affords breakfast tacos, French toast, eggs benedict, and blueberry pancakes. Each eating places open at 08:00.
After breakfast, head to Keewatin Place and replenish on snacks, water and sandwiches.
Manitoba Welcomes You Signal
After fuelling up, you’ll drive for 40 minutes (52 kilometres) till you attain the Manitoba ‘Welcomes You’ signal, which is the proper spot to catch a street journey shot.
From the signal, you’ll proceed on Freeway 44. Subsequent, you’ll drive for an additional half-hour (34 kilometres) to Whiteshell Provincial Park, which has a wide range of climbing trails, the Bannock Point Petroforms, and Pine Level Rapids.
You’ll flip proper onto Provincial Street 307, driving one other half-hour to Pine Level Rapids.
The Pine Level Rapids Path
The Pine Level Rapids Path is an all-season vacation spot, standard for its cross-country snowboarding within the winter and climbing in the summertime.
We did the 5.1km loop, which has a scenic (2.7km) route alongside the river and a extra direct (2.4km) route on the best way again. The Pine Level Rapids is positioned on the midway level of the loop. The total path is 8.2km in size.
Manidoo-Abi (Bannock Level Petroforms)
Simply two minutes drive additional north on Freeway 307; you’ll discover the Bannock Level Petroforms. Whereas the petroforms web site has been named the Bannock Level Petroforms, many nonetheless acknowledge the positioning by its unique identify in Anishinaabemowin (the Ojibwe language) as Manidoo-Abi, translated to English as “The place the Spirit Sits.” Manidoo-Abi is a sacred web site and stays in use to today.
At present Whiteshell Provincial Park is well-known as a cottage nation for hundreds of holiday makers, campers and hikers, however Indigenous peoples from many countries have been residing on this area for tens of hundreds of years.
As you stroll by way of the boreal forest, to see this sacred petroform web site: rocks and boulders organized by Indigenous peoples over millennia.
Keep in mind to be respectful and never contact or transfer any objects or supplies from the positioning.
Jennifer’s Restaurant Picnic
Only for the document, this half is such a surprising drive. That mentioned, after the hike and petroforms, you’ll really feel a bit hungry. Fortunately, the subsequent cease is Jennifer’s Restaurant Picnic after a 28-minute (38-kilometre) drive. This meals truck affords pleasant appetizers, schnitzels, burgers, goulash and fried shrimp.
Beausejour Dairy Bar
Feeling like one thing candy? Subsequent up is Beausejour Dairy Bar after a 25-minute (39-kilometre) drive. You’ll flip left onto MB-11 after which proper on Freeway 44. Right here, you will get all types of candy treats, like sundaes, floats, shakes, slushies, and delicate serve.
Attending to the Centre of Canada Park takes 38 minutes (57 kilometres). Lastly, you’ll head west on Park Avenue for 9 kilometres earlier than turning left onto Freeway 12. You may go the historic Centre of Canada Park on this street should you flip proper onto Rosewood Street and take one other proper onto the Trans-Canada Freeway.
Centre of Canada Park
The Centre of Canada Park is the precise longitudinal centre of Canada, which is a cool place to be because it’s a geographical spotlight.
Winnipeg, aka The Peg
Lastly, you’ll drive for an additional 34 minutes (30 kilometres) alongside the Trans-Canada Freeway till you attain Winnipeg.
The place To Keep in Winnipeg
When you get to Winnipeg, you might be feeling drained. Listed below are some nice locations in Winnipeg to remain.
- The Fort Garry Hotel, Spa and Conference Centre – This resort may be very centrally positioned. It’s only a minute’s stroll from The Forks Market, the Winnipeg Railway Museum, and Bonnycastle Park. Plus, it’s received gorgeous rooms, a world-class spa, down duvets, and high-speed Wi-Fi. We completely loved our keep right here. Costs begin from $213 per evening.
- Mere Hotel – Proper on the banks of the Crimson River within the Civic Centre is that this pleasant resort. It’s near the Manitoba Museum, Fort Gibraltar, and the Manitoba Theatre Centre. Rooms include flat-screen TVs, minibars, air con, and bathrobes. Costs begin from $220 per evening.
What To Do in Winnipeg
Because the capital of Manitoba, there are such a lot of issues to do in Winnipeg. That mentioned, we’ve summed up our prime picks.
The Forks Market
The world for this market has served as a gathering place for over 6000 years. Now, it’s one of many prime locations for foodies and customers. So, should you’re hungry and on the lookout for a chew to eat – come right here. It’s open all week from 10:00 till 21:00 (aside from the meals corridor, which is open Sunday to Thursday from 11:00 till 22:00 and Friday to Saturday from 11:00 till 23:00).
Canadian Museum For Human Rights (CMHR)
Canadian Museum for Human Rights – For an insightful look into the historical past of human rights in Canada and internationally, this museum will fascinate you. It’s received all types of reveals, together with concerning the Holocaust, local weather justice, and Canadian tales. It’s open Tuesday to Sunday from 10:00 till 17:00 and till 21:00 on Fridays. Admission begins from $18 per particular person.
In case you on the lookout for some air and greenery? This park has the whole lot from an English Backyard, a zoo, six eating places, and numerous sports activities fields. It’s completely buzzing in the summertime, with free concert events and barbeque amenities.
Optionally available Stops On The Drive to Winnipeg
Whereas we’ve supplied you with tons of stops alongside the drive, we nonetheless couldn’t slot in just a few choices. That mentioned, listed below are three different stops to think about:
- Quetico Provincial Park – Simply two hours outdoors of Thunder Bay alongside the Trans–Canada Freeway is that this fabulous park. It’s received over 35 kilometres of climbing trails, over 2,000 lakes, and backcountry campsites. It’s open all yr from 08:00 till 16:30.
- Sioux Narrows Provincial Park – This beautiful park is simply an hour outdoors Kenora. It’s located alongside the shoreline of Lake of the Woods. It’s a small park with two campsites, canoes for lease, and three climbing trails. It’s open from Could till October.
- Sandbar Lake Provincial Park – This incredible park is simply ten minutes outdoors Ignace. It’s residence to a surprising sandy seaside, forests, and numerous canoe routes, aka the proper spot to be in spring in Ontario. It’s open from Could till September.
Remaining Ideas On a Thunder Bay to Winnipeg Journey
So, there you go, all you want to know and do for a Thunder Bay – Manitoba street journey. It’s a stunning place to be, driving alongside the Trans-Canada Freeway. What’s extra, there are such a lot of sensible spots, whether or not provincial parks, cutesy cities, or fascinating museums.
Winnipeg is a superb spot, because it’s stuffed with thrilling sights. That mentioned, there are such a lot of terrific cities in Canada to discover. For extra superior choices, try these weekend getaways in Ontario.
However for now, we depart you with this. The place known as Juneberry. The perfect pancakes we ever tasted. Scrumptious.