A listing of free museums, reductions, and museum passes
Paris is so saturated with museums, monuments and historic landmarks that it’s tough to know the place to start planning. However when you’ve booked your airfare and secured a great value on a Paris lodge, it’s time to begin eager about the enjoyable stuff.
For these wanting to avoid wasting euros, one place to start your analysis is by taking a look at Paris’ free museums and points of interest (or these with diminished admission).
It’s potential, in spite of everything, to absorb a variety of town’s tradition with out forking over an excessive amount of money. Right here’s a fast information to a couple of our favourite free museums and ideas for locating discounted admission.
• 47 methods to save lots of in your journey to Paris
• 11 finest low cost inns in Paris for 2023
All the time free museums in Paris
Some museums and lots of public monuments are free day-after-day — additionally nice to know once you get caught within the rain and don’t wish to kill time in a café.
Word that a few of these have a (typically strongly) beneficial “donation ticket.” Whereas giving one thing isn’t required, it’s actually a pleasant gesture.
Free museums embrace:
- The Musée d’Art Moderne, not removed from the Eiffel Tower, is certainly one of two fashionable artwork museums in Paris. Its particular exhibitions value 5-12 euros, however the everlasting assortment is totally free.
- Notre Dame Cathedral, and any church (apart from Sainte Chapelle) for that matter, is truthful recreation.
- The Musée Carnavalet within the Marais, permits you to tour the entire historical past of town without cost. (“Donation ticket” €5.) Non permanent exhibitions can value 10-13 euros.
- Arène de Lutèce, town’s outdated Roman amphitheater, is simply hanging out within the Latin Quarter ready for guests to drop in for a picnic whereas watching the native kids play soccer.
- You too can stroll by means of the courtyards and outer halls of the Hotel des Invalides and take a look at the canons guarding Napoleon’s tomb with out paying to really go inside.
- The Atelier Brancusi shows the sculptures of Constantin Brancusi simply outdoors of the Centre Pompidou, together with the well-known sculpture l’oiseau dans l’espace. The workshop is totally free to go to.
- Extra museums which can be free day-after-day embrace: Maison de Balzac, Maison de Victor Hugo, Musée de la Vie Romantique, Musée Curie, the Shoah Memorial, the Petit Palais – Musée des Beaux Arts, the Musée du Parfum-Fragonard and extra. Word that many of those cost admission to particular displays, however visiting the everlasting assortment is free.
Generally free museums in Paris
Should you’re planning your journey like a Cheapo, come to Paris on a weekend for the primary Sunday of the month when many nationwide museums are open without cost, just like the Pompidou and Musee d’Orsay.
Needless to say some museums will solely provide the free first Sunday monthly within the low season. Check out the “sensible info” part of the museum web site that you just’ve received your eye on, and it ought to let you know.
To rejoice the nationwide vacation, Bastille Day, nationwide museums, just like the Louvre, are additionally open without cost on July 14 yearly. (This is also to distract the revolutionary-minded from storming any extra prisons.)
Discounted with a Paris Museum Cross
Buying a Paris Museum Pass (accessible for two, 4 or 6 days) will present entrance to most nationwide museums and monuments, together with the Palace at Versailles and the Arc de Triomphe.
In case you are a historical past and artwork buff, the go will simply pay for itself when you plan your visits upfront.
For instance, a two-day museum go prices €55. Should you plan on visiting each the Conciergerie prison (the place Marie Antoinette was imprisoned) and the adjoining Sainte Chapelle church, admission will value a complete of €30, if bought independently. Throw in a ticket to the Louvre (€17), the Rodin Museum (€13), and the Centre Pompidou (€15), and in two days you saved fairly a bit of money.
We don’t imply to oversell the go. Nevertheless, if you’re devoted to utilizing it and to visiting a number of museums, the go could be a excellent deal.
Free for guests below 26 years outdated
- EU residents below 26: All everlasting collections of nationwide museums and monuments are free for EU cardholders below 26 years of age.
- Different residents below 26 (with carte de sejour): Many Individuals and Canadians might imagine this legislation passes them up, however wait! The 1000’s of research overseas college students, au pairs, and English assistants who’ve authorized residency in France or elsewhere in Europe are additionally coated by this legislation. So, when you’re below 26, head to the Musée d’Orsay or the Natural History Museum, wave your passport and carte de séjour, and also you’ll get a free ticket.
- Kids: Additionally, kids usually get into locations without cost, however ages differ significantly, so be sure you ask on the ticket window.
And do not forget that free entry often solely applies to a museum’s everlasting collections and infrequently doesn’t cowl particular displays. Nevertheless, these particular exhibitions usually provide discounted youth tickets.
Reductions and different offers
If a museum’s entrance shouldn’t be free, you possibly can usually discover numerous reductions if you realize the place to look, so work up the braveness to ask if the value appears steep. Youth and “below 18” guests can often get reductions even when you don’t have EU paperwork, so guests can nonetheless profit from reductions.
Additionally, museums usually work in tandem to supply reductions. For instance, when you current your ticket to the Musée d’Orsay once you go to the Palais Garnier, you’ll obtain a reduction (when you go to inside 14 days). Clearly, proper? Take a look at the affords posted on the ticket sales space.
The Paris Tourism Workplace has a website in English that may be helpful for locating up-to-date info for any museum in Paris. Search by museum identify and shortly you’ll notice how a lot cash it can save you (and what number of Mona Lisa mugs you’ll lastly have the ability to purchase on the Louvre reward store!). They even have an extremely complete listing of all free and reduced admission museums and instances.
Searching for much more free concepts? Right here’s a listing of 25 free issues in Paris that we love and seven issues in Paris which can be at all times free.