This put up could comprise affiliate hyperlinks. We could obtain a small fee, for gratis to you, in the event you make a purchase order. Learn Disclosure.
Are you on the lookout for a barely completely different view of London? Though most of the metropolis’s most notable websites are above floor, you’ll find that there’s a lot of historical past, outstanding works of engineering, and tales to be instructed, beneath the Earth.
In an underground tour of London, you possibly can stroll behind the scenes of the oldest metro on the earth, take a fast peek into former air-raid shelters used in the course of the second world battle, and stroll the dusty passageways that have been as soon as utilized by former British Prime Minister, Winston Churchill.
If driving in black cabs and queuing at Madame Tussauds shouldn’t be your factor any extra, then attempt trying under the floor to flee the crowds.
That will help you out, I’ve listed a few of my favourite underground London excursions that take you thru misplaced tunnels and uncover components of London you didn’t know have been there.
The Finest Underground London Excursions
You’ll uncover a hidden world of secret tunnels, terrifying tombs, elaborate practice routes, and historic cave methods on considered one of these underground London excursions.
1. Cupboard Conflict Rooms
Immerse your self within the ambiance of the Blitz with a visit down into the historic Cupboard Conflict Rooms.
This warren of tunnels and bunkers below Whitehall was the headquarters for Britain’s battle effort throughout WW2.
The tour begins by exploring the Conflict Cupboard Room from the place Winston Churchill deliberate Britain’s subsequent transfer.
You may truly see the chair (full with scratch marks on its arms) which he used throughout extremely traumatic conferences.
Within the Map Room, nothing has modified since 16 Aug 1945, when the lights have been lastly switched off.
Wartime maps, colour-coded telephones, and even rationed sugar cubes stay precisely as they have been when the battle ended.
2. Chislehurst Caves
This community of 8000-year-old caves within the larger London space is an sudden deal with. The caves, which lengthen for 20 miles, have been initially created because of flint and chalk mining.
You may take a lamp-lit tour deep into this labyrinth and discover the caves’ various historical past; from their origins as mines to their subsequent use as an ammunition depot after which as an air raid shelter throughout WW2.
You may learn extra and check prices and availability here.
3. The London Bridge Expertise and London Tombs
This spine-chilling historic tour takes you thru the early days of London.
Start by discovering probably the most haunted bridge on the earth – London Bridge – then you definately’ll be taken via Roman, Viking, and Victorian occasions and you may watch Queen Boudicca defeat the Romans in battle and see the good hearth of London erupt earlier than your very eyes.
For a extremely frightful time, you’ll have to go deeper underground into the depths of the London Tombs.
This former plague pit has been given a Hollywood-inspired makeover and now boasts state-of-the-art particular results and dwell actors, to carry London’s bloody historical past to life.
Though The London Bridge Expertise doesn’t have any age restrictions, all youngsters below 14 should be accompanied by an grownup. The London Tombs is not appropriate for kids below 11.
We visited the London Bridge Expertise with our 14- and 10-year-old. It was considered one of our teen’s favourite issues to do in London. Our tween was a bit of scared. however she nonetheless loves sharing her reminiscences from it.
4. Tour of the London underground
You’re positive to have a renewed respect for the tube after this two-hour tour of the world’s oldest underground metro system.
This feat of engineering has been transporting passengers for 150 years and also you’ll have the ability to see its authentic plans together with the steam engines that have been first used.
Alongside your route, be careful for the ghost station on the British Museum and uncover the secrets and techniques behind the unique hand-dug tunnels.
5. Brunel’s underground tunnel
Uncover how Isambard Kingdom Brunel helped his father Marc construct one of many world’s first tunnels below a river.
The Thames tunnel, which is 170 years outdated, was initially designed to permit individuals and horses to cross the Thames with out obstructing the passing ships.
As soon as referred to as the eighth surprise of the world, the tunnel was reopened in 2010 as a part of the London Overground.
Now you can descend into The Grand Entrance Corridor on the tunnel shaft and even uncover a secret chamber.
Excursions will be organized via the Brunel Museum.
6. The Hidden London Excursions by London Transport Museum
If you wish to get off the crushed path, then the London Transport Museum, operated by Transport for London, have a number of underground excursions you possibly can participate in.
The excursions are designed to take individuals to disused stations and secret websites, it’s an city explorer’s dream come true.
You may select to go to any of the next stations on a small group strolling tour:
- Aldwych Station, which opened in 1907 however closed in 1994, and was the previous “finish of the road.” It was used as a shelter in the course of the Blitz and is now an deserted tube station. It has been featured in a number of movie and tv, corresponding to Sherlock and Atonement.
- Charing Cross, which remains to be in use right this moment however grew to become well-known after it was used within the James Bond film, Skyfall. This tour takes you to closed-off areas and the disused areas of Charing Cross the place you possibly can study in regards to the station’s historical past and use in film units.
- Clapham South which opened after world battle II and consists of eight deep-level shelters and miles of passageways.
- Down Avenue Station, often known as Winston Churchill’s secret station. It’s situated between Inexperienced Park and Hyde Park Nook stations and was used as an air-raid shelter for the prime minister and was additionally the Railway Government Committee’s bomb-proof headquarters.
- The misplaced tunnels of Euston. You may stroll down the passageways and tunnels from Euston Station which are now not in use, and nonetheless see classic promoting posters adorning the partitions.
- Go behind the scenes at Shepherd’s Bush station, one of many well-liked stations in London’s suburbs.
- Find out about modern-day engineering with a behind-the-scenes tour of the Elizabeth Line from Tottenham Court docket Highway.
- Kingsway trams tunnel tour. Earlier than trains, the town used trams which consequently closed down. You may stroll down the one remaining tram tunnel in London on this tour.
Ultimate Ideas on Underground Excursions of London
I wager you didn’t understand how a lot of London’s underground world was accessible to vacationers? I used to be pleasantly shocked too.
If you consider it, a lot of London’s historical past was served underground. Through the 6-months of the Blitz, these underground stations have been a spot of refuge and security.
As an alternative of being disused stations, they’ve been changed into points of interest so vacationers can see the town’s engineering triumphs and historic landmarks.
Whether or not you’re on the lookout for a enjoyable exercise for a Saturday evening otherwise you’re curious in regards to the historical past of the world’s oldest metro system, these excursions are positive to be a spotlight of your London journey.
Excursions of London
Save Cash on London Points of interest
Get Your Information has an unbelievable number of excursions, actions, tickets and passes with a listing of handpicked tours and things to do in London. Like this authentic Harry Potter Guided walking tour
- The London Sightseeing Go: Our favourite of the vacationer low cost playing cards is the London Sightseeing Go for his or her flexibility and variety. They provide entry to high London points of interest, plus quirky native excursions, and reductions on buying and consuming out. See more information and get your pass here.
- The London Go By GoCity: offers you free entry to 60+ high London points of interest, Hop on and Off sightseeing tour, and quick monitor passes at well-liked London points of interest. Get your London Pass here.
Extra London Journey Ideas
Are you planning a visit to London however want extra inspiration on your journey? Then it’s possible you’ll discover these different guides useful…
Have you ever explored London’s underground earlier than? What do you suggest? Tell us within the feedback.