Are you picturing photos of Roman ruins, huge stretches of vineyards, and scenes of gondoliers singing “O sole mio” by the winding canals of the floating metropolis? You then’re conjuring up photos of Italy!
You probably have fourteen days at your disposal, you’ll be able to uncover the true essence of the boot-shaped nation by following our 2-week Italy itinerary.
From traversing the winding streets of the everlasting metropolis of Rome to meandering down the romantic canals of Venice, the subsequent two-weeks guarantees an journey crammed with wealthy historical past, breathtaking landscapes, and unparalleled cultural experiences.
We wish you to depart Italy feeling such as you’ve really understood the nation, so we’ve fastidiously crafted this two week Italy itinerary to not solely take you to a few of Italy’s most iconic locations, but additionally to some hidden gems we found on our personal journey.
At A Look: A Abstract of This 14 Day Italy Itinerary
For individuals who don’t have a lot time, beneath is a fast abstract of this 14 day itinerary. Later on this information, we’ll share extra detailed details about what to do, the place to remain, and the place to eat at every place.
- Day 1-3: Rome (3 nights)
- Day 3-5: Tuscany (2 nights)
- Day 6:8: Florence (2 nights)
- Day 8-11: Cinque Terre (3 nights)
- Day 11-12: Verona (2 nights)
- Day 12-14: Venice (2 nights)
We adopted this two-week itinerary in the summertime of 2023 with our two daughters (aged 15 and 11). All of us fell in love with the tradition and life-style of Italy and had been enamored with its historical historical past and trendy flavors.
We had 12 nights; however I’ve added an additional evening to Tuscany and Cinque Terre to take it to 14 days, which in hindsight, is what we want we did.
We had 4 nights in Paris earlier than arriving in Italy, and if we had been to do it once more, we’d drop France and simply spend the additional time in Italy.
We liked Paris, however a lot most popular Italy and it could have saved us cash and exhausting journey time.
The Final 2 Week Italy Itinerary
Under is how we suggest you spend 14 days in Italy, overlaying Rome, Florence, Tuscany, Verona, Cinque Terre and Venice!
Later within the information, we’ll talk about methods to get round Italy and methods to navigate this itinerary.
Cease 1: Rome, The Everlasting Metropolis (3 Nights)
Start your Italian journey in Rome, the place historical ruins, Renaissance artwork, and scrumptious delicacies converge.
Rome is the capital metropolis of Italy and the previous capital of the Roman Empire. It’s a metropolis that receives over 10 million worldwide vacationers a 12 months, making it one of many high 20 cities on this planet.
And there’s a motive for this! Town is filled with historic sights and world-famous landmarks, together with the Seventh Marvel of the World, the Colosseum. Don’t miss out on an opportunity to stroll the traditional Roman Discussion board and marvel at awe-inspiring Roman engineering on the Pantheon and immerse your self within the metropolis’s millennia-old historical past.
Rome is a walkable metropolis, with probabilities to find hidden gems within the backstreets. You may take pleasure in genuine pasta dishes at native trattorias, and don’t overlook to toss a coin into the Trevi Fountain for good luck.
Rome’s enchanting environment will set the stage for the wonders that lie forward.
What to Do in Rome
Right here had been the highlights for us on our three day keep in Rome. Click on on the hyperlinks to study extra about every expertise.
- Roman Avenue Meals Tour. A completely should for foodie followers who wish to study extra about Rome’s delicacies. It’s not all pizzas and gellato, I promise you!
- Roman Discussion board and Palatine Hill and the Colosseum. No journey to Rome is full with out seeing the Colosseum and historical ruins of the Roman Discussion board. We suggest you do to a guided tour of this so you’ll be able to skip the strains and study concerning the historical past and engineering from a educated information.
- Vatican Metropolis Tour, the world’s smallest nation and residential to the Catholic Church. The Vatican will be explored in a day, nevertheless it’s additionally finest to do a guided tour so you’ll be able to skip the strains – particularly for the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel that sees ready occasions of as much as 3 hours.
- The Pantheon, a former Roman temple and Catholic Church, and the ultimate resting place of well-known Roman artist Raphael, in addition to Italy’s first king, Victor Emmanuel.
- Trevi Fountain, an iconic landmark recognized for its intricate baroque design with statues and turquoise pool. Throw a coin over your left shoulder for good luck.
- Spanish Steps, a picturesque previous staircase connecting Piazza di Spagna to Piazza Trinità dei Monti.
- Discover Trastevere (and different cool Rome neighborhoods)
- Wander the Streets of Rome
- Rome Catacombs, that are positioned simply outdoors town, and are a community of underground passages housing tombs of Rome’s Christians and Jews within the fifth century.
Really useful Excursions of Rome
The place to Eat in Rome
As our house rental host advised us, “select a restaurant, any restaurant, they’ll all be good. It’s Trastevere. Overlook ready in line.”
In order that’s my recommendation to you – it presumably works for all of Rome.
Keep away from the touristy piazzas and head to the aspect streets and surrounding neighborhoods for incredible meals in Rome. Listed below are some a few suggestion:
- Mama Eats in Trastevere. Our favourite restaurant on the journey – 100% gluten free and I’m speaking pastas, pizza and tiramisu. At an reasonably priced worth. They will make dishes non-gluten free as nicely.
- Gelateria del Teatro can also be one of the appreciated and liked ice cream parlors in Rome within the artisan subject since 2006.
- Fiore has nice road meals – excellent for lunch and fast snacks.
The place to Keep in Rome
We liked staying within the Trastevere neighborhood. We may stroll to all high Rome sights from there whereas having the expertise of staying in a extra native space with incredible meals choices and bustling nightlife.
Plus, the streets are so fairly!
Cease 2: Tuscany, Rolling Hills, Charming Villages and Grapevines (2 Nights)
Subsequent, enterprise into the picturesque landscapes of Tuscany, referred to as Italy’s wine rising area.
Expertise the romance of the area as you discover vineyards, olive groves, and charming hilltop cities.
Sip on world-renowned wines in Chianti, wander by the medieval streets of Siena, and marvel on the iconic Leaning Tower of Pisa.
Tuscany’s magnificence isn’t just in its surroundings but additionally in its heat hospitality and delectable delicacies.
We liked our Tuscan farm keep and will have simply stayed longer, which is why I like to recommend three nights, as an alternative of our rushed two!
What to Do in Tuscany
Tuscany is a large area crammed with many small villages, sights, wineries, and extra.
Plan your journey nicely and deal with the villages and space close to to your farm keep – which is without doubt one of the finest issues to do in Italy! Click on on the hyperlinks for extra data.
- Keep at a Tuscany Farm Keep, that is one of the best ways to really feel the laid-back, genuine life-style of Tuscany. Ours was unimaginable! Among the finest wine I’ve ever had.
- Take a Tuscany Cooking Class. We did ours at our farm keep, however yow will discover them throughout the area. Tuscan meals is completely different from most Italian delicacies, specializing in cheese and, after all, Florentine Steak.
- Wine Tasting, a must-do when visiting Tuscany. We did one at our farm keep, however there are many locations that supply wine tasting within the small Tuscan cities.
- Civita di Bagnoregio, a singular and picturesque seventh century city on hill with unimaginable structure. It’s well-known for its pedestrian bridge which connects to Bagnoregio village.
- Bagni San Filippo, a small scorching spring with mineral wealthy swimming pools and exquisite waterfalls.
- Fosso Bianco scorching springs, that are higher for a swim and gives an opportunity to calm down with mud masks
- Go to Sienna for a day, a medieval metropolis in Tuscany recognized for its historic buildings. Our favourite duomo of Italy, Siena Cathedral, is positioned right here.
- I additionally heard nice issues about San Gimignano, which is one other medieval city recognized for its well-maintained watch towers.
The place to Eat in Tuscany
We principally ate at our farm keep, however we have now a full put up on some nice eating places in Tuscany.
Listed below are a number of the locations we favored essentially the most:
- La Vecchia Latteria in Siena was the most effective gelatos we had in Italy.
- Caffè Fiorella in Siena has nice espresso.
The place to Keep in Tuscany
I’ve talked about it sufficient now to let we liked our Tuscan Farm Keep at Tenuta di Mensanello. I thnk an agritourismo keep is one of the best ways to get pleasure from Tuscany.
You may learn our full put up with all the main points on our agritouismo at Mensanello.
It had all the pieces: rustic working farm experiences, attractive views, and their very own wine, beer, olive oil, pasture-raised pork, and farm to desk expertise.
Cease 3: Florence, Renaissance Splendor (2 Nights)
A brief journey from Tuscany brings you to Florence, the birthplace of the Renaissance.
Town is thought for its artwork tradition, and is the place you’ll be able to admire masterpieces by Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and Botticelli on the Uffizi Gallery, in addition to see the unique Statue of David by Michaelangelo.
Don’t miss an opportunity to climb to the highest of the Duomo for panoramic views of town, and stroll throughout the Ponte Vecchio over the Arno River.
Florence’s inventive legacy and architectural wonders will depart an indelible mark in your Italian sojourn.
What to Do in Florence
Florence is filled with sights, museums, artwork galleries and excursions. Simply wandering round is an journey.
We had been capable of see and do rather a lot in our two days keep as a result of we joined some strolling excursions for a spotlight overview.
It saved us from getting overwhelmed as nicely! Click on the hyperlinks for extra in-depth data and tales.
- Boboli Gardens, is a historic park created for the Medici household, however was opened to the general public in 1766. It’s a advantageous instance of Renaissance landscaping.
- Villa Bardini Gardens, one other peaceable park with colourful flowers and Renaissance structure. Don’t miss the views from the terraced bar!
- Wander Oltrarno Neighborhood, a vibrant and quirky neighborhood stuffed with boutiques, cafes and bars.
- Tuscan Meals and Wine Tour in Oltrarno. It is a nice probability to seek out the most effective Florentine Steak within the metropolis and study concerning the regional delicacies of Florence.
- Catch the sundown from Piazzale Michelangelo or Ponte Vecchio. The Piazzale Michelangelo has sweeping views throughout the entire metropolis, whereas the Ponte Vecchio, a medieval stone closed arch bridge, is lit up in hues of soppy yellow and orange throughout golden hour.
- Florence Guided Strolling Tour, that is one of the best ways to see the highlights and in addition lets you skip the road to see The Statue of David and climb to the highest of the Duomo.
- Statue of David at Accademia Gallery, is a must-see for anybody visiting Florence, whether or not you’re an artwork lover or not. It’s one of many world’s most well-known statues and is way more spectacular in real-life than in photos. You may see the outlines of muscular tissues and veins, the eye to element is extraordinary.
- Uffizi Gallery is a should for artwork lovers and is the place yow will discover unique items from the Renaissance interval’s biggest artists, together with Raphael, Botticelli, Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, Caravaggio and extra.
- Piazza della Signoria is a bustling sq. outdoors Palazzo Vecchio and is a superb spot to seize an espresso and do some people-watching.
- Pitti Palace is a Renaissance palace that now accommodates an artwork museum.
Really useful Excursions in Florence
The place to Eat in Florence
You’re at all times one nook round an important place to eat in Florence. Plus, it’s the house of gelato, so get pleasure from. As they are saying, When in Florence…. eat gelato each day.
And Florence can also be the place to eat Florentine steak and go to a wine window.
- Mercato Centrale for meals market
- La Carraia was the most effective gelato I had in Italy
- La Terrazza Rooftop Bar (small and busy so get right here early)
- Caffè Gilli oldest cafe in metropolis well-known for espressos
- Babae Wine Window
- Ditta Artigianale Riva d’Arno has nice espresso
- Trattoria BBQ in Oltrarno has nice Florentine steak
- Ostaria dei Centopoveri – you’ll thank us for this native favourite – low cost with nice meals.
The place to Keep in Florence
We actually loved our keep at Lodge Palazzo dal Borgo in Florence which we booked utilizing factors. It had an important location, a separate room for the ladies, and included breakfast. See rates and availability.
These locations additionally come really helpful:
- Repubblica Firenze Luxury Apartments | UNA Esperienze (Bucket checklist luxurious Florence lodging + with beautiful views)
- Bellavista Impruneta Hotel Ristorante (A style of the countryside near town)
- Hotel David (Household owned in an important location)
Cease 4: Cinque Terre, Coastal Paradise (3 nights)
From Florence, head to the ruggedly lovely Cinque Terre area, which is a string of 5 seaside villages perched alongside the Italian Riviera.
Hike scenic trails with breathtaking views of the Mediterranean, calm down on tranquil pebble seashores, and savor freshly caught seafood.
The allure of Cinque Terre lies in its simplicity, the place every village tells a singular story towards a backdrop of cliffs and azure waters.
What to Do in Cinque Terre
Cinque Terre is a perfect area to remain for 3 nights because it gives you somewhat extra rest after a busy week in Italy.
So, take loads of time to wander slowly. It was our woman’s favourite place we visited in Italy.
- Hike the coastal Blue Path between the 5 cities. Monterosso to Vernazza is alleged to be essentially the most lovely part.
- Catch a sundown in Manarola
- Take a ship tour of the 5 Lands – the most effective factor we did and an effective way to see the cities from a special perspective.
- Calm down on the seaside in Monterosso, our favourite seaside in Cinque Terre.
- Kayak at Monterosso and admire the structure from the water
- Head to Riomaggiore for a vibrant and distinctive nightlife expertise.
- Strive the native wine!
Really useful Excursions of Cinque Terre
The place to Keep in Cinque Terre
We stayed in an apartment in La Spezia and caught the practice in to the 5 Cities.
I’d have a lot most popular to stay in Monterosso al Mare for 2 nights and utilizing this as a base to get round.
From right here, it’s straightforward to go to the opposite 4 cities both by climbing, by boat, or by practice.
Riomaggiore is also a good place to stay with extra lodging choices.
The place to Eat in Cinque Terre
Under are some locations we dined at throughout our go to to Cinque Terre and extremely suggest.
- Bar Gianni Franzi in Vernazza – exellent lunch by the water
- Nessun Dorma in Manarola has drinks, charcuterie boards, and views.
- Purchase the fried seafood cones – low cost and simple to go meals!
- Sorbetteria Gelateria 5 Terre in Manarola is 100% gluten free crepes and ice cream.
Cease 5: Verona, A Style of Romance (2 Nights)
As you strategy the tip of your 14 day Italy journey, go to Verona, town that was stated to encourage the story of Romeo and Juliet.
Wander by well-preserved medieval streets, discover the Roman Enviornment, and go to Juliet’s balcony.
Verona’s romantic ambiance and cultural richness make it an ideal prelude to Venice.
Verona is one in every of my favourite locations in Italy (I’ve been twice) and I favor it to Venice, however you don’t want a variety of time right here.
Nonetheless, I feel Verona is a superb base as you’ll be able to simply catch the practice into Venice for the day, which is cheaper than staying in Venice itself.
What to Do in Verona
- Julite’s Courtyard and Balcony, the primary attraction in Veronia. You want tickets for the balcony, nevertheless it’s price it. I liked it!
- Verona Enviornment, an enormous, well-preserved Roman Amphitheatre in-built 30 AD.
- Torre di Lamberti, an 84-meter-high tower in-built 1172. It is a excellent place to see views of town.
- Castelvecchio Museum, set in a medieval fort referred to as a army base. It’s surprisingly good!
- Roman Theater, to not be confused with Verona Enviornment, is a superb place to catch a efficiency within the evenings.
- Go for a motorbike experience across the metropolis. It is a nice option to admire the structure and really feel the beat of town. Our bike leases got here with our house keep, however yow will discover bike-sharing leases in Piazza Cittadella.
- Giusti Gardens is a lovely, manicured backyard behind a palace. It was my favourite backyard that we visited on our journey and is thought for its hedge maze.
- Piazza Bra, the biggest piazza in Verona and is known for its cafes, eating places and bustling environment.
- Piazza delle Erbe, previously the city’s discussion board in Roman Instances, and now a peaceable sq..
Really useful Excursions of Verona
The place to Eat in Verona
Under are a number of the locations we ate at in Verona and liked!
- Bim Bum Bam Cafe/ Bar in Veronetta neighborhood for affordable Apertivo
- La Costa in Bra had scrumptious and reasonably priced pizza with views of the Verona Enviornment
- Cafe Filippini on Piazza Erba – nice gluten free carbonara and tiramisu
The place to Keep in Verona
We had been meant to remain at The Lodge Milan and Spa, nevertheless it doesn’t have a 4-person room so we had been positioned of their sister house rental property The Verona Home, which was glorious, and we may nonetheless use the facilities on the Lodge Milan & Spa.
We selected it due to the extraordinary views of the Verona Enviornment from their unique Terrace Sky Lounge and Bar.
Clearly, with views like this, the resort is centrally positioned to all of the motion. See rates and availability here for Hotel Milan & Spa and click on right here for rates and availability here for Verona House.
Cease 6: Venice, The Grand Finale (2 Nights)
Lastly, arrive within the enchanting metropolis of Venice, the place winding canals and historic structure create a magical environment.
It’s referred to as the sinking metropolis, for the reason that complete metropolis is constructed on stilts over the water and is slowly sinking annually.
Venice is a walkable metropolis and is finest seen on foot, however it’s also possible to cruise alongside the Grand Canal in a gondola, which is an iconic factor to do in Venice.
Remember to discover St. Mark’s Sq. and get misplaced within the slender alleys of this water-bound metropolis.
Venice, with its timeless magnificence, concludes your two-week odyssey by the splendors of Italy.
What to Do in Venice
- Go to the Doge’s Palace, a Venetian Gothic palace that was as soon as the residence of the Doge of Venice and a authorities workplace. It was one in every of my favourite sights in Venice, however ensure you get the primary tour of the day.
- Bridge of Sighs, additionally a part of the Doge’s Palace tour, is a lovely bridge that connects the palace to the prisons.
- Rialto Bridge, the oldest bridge on the Grand Canal and essentially the most lovely, in addition to the Rialto Bridge Marketplace for memento buying.
- St. Mark’s Basilica, the cathedral church of the Patriarchate of Venice and essentially the most lovely. Remember to admire the plethora of golden mosaics that adorn its partitions.
- Acqua Alta bookstore, a hidden gem in Venice that’s not so hidden anymore. Every room is full of books, and it has a backyard with a e book staircase that you may climb (nice for Insta photos!)
- Strolling Tour, St. Mark’s Basilica & Gondola Experience, this can be a nice option to spend a day in Venice studying about its historical past and seeing the principle sides.
- Admire the view from Accademia Bridge, one of many 4 bridges on the Grand Canal. From right here, you get a beautiful view overlooking the Rialto Bridge and the canal.
- Discover Dorsoduro district. Venice’s pupil district, for indie retailers, city eateries, and classic style boutiques.
- Take a day journey to Murano and Burano to see how Venetian glass is made.
Really useful Excursions of Venice
The place to Eat in Venice
Under are some locations we dined at in Venice and would extremely suggest.
- Choclate tasting at Vizio Advantage Cioccolateria
- Suso gelato – our final gelato in Italy was a very good one!
- Al Vapiretto Trattoria, that served scrumptious pasta and pizza at an inexpensive worth.
- Da Fede on the Campo Margherita in Dorsoduro. Scrumptious final Italina meal!
- Bacaro Risorto Castello for excellent cicchetti – a should to eat in Venice.
- Harry’s Bar which created the Bellini
The place to Keep in Venice
As talked about, we stayed in Verona and traveld to Venice for the day. If staying in Venice, listed here are just a few Venice lodges to think about:
The right way to Get Round with this 14 Day Italy Itinerary
You gained’t want a automobile for many of the locations on our itinerary – actually solely Tuscany.
After including up the price of practice journey (for 4 of us) versus automobile (plus considering comfort and saving time) we determined to hire a automobile in Rome and dropped it off upon arrival in Verona.
Then we used it to journey between locations.
The large concern was getting from Cinque Terre to Verona – it could have taken up a complete day by practice, as you needed to backtrack to Milan first to get a connecting practice to Verona.
We had free parking in Cinque Terre, so solely needed to pay additional for parking in Florence.
Trains are fairly good in Italy, so this can be a preferable choice, particularly if in case you have extra time.
We did encounter visitors between Florence and Cinque Terre, nevertheless it didn’t delay us an excessive amount of. We caught at rain from Verona to Venice which was easy and low cost.
GLOBUS DISCOUNT JUST FOR YOU!
We’ve secured an unique yTravel discount: Save $100 per individual on choose 2023 and 2024 Globus and Avalon Waterway Holidays. Use the code: YTRAVEL when reserving on-line on the Globus, Cosmos, and Avalon Waterways web sites, by calling Globus and Avalon Waterways instantly, or reserving with a most popular Journey Advisor. Phrases & Circumstances.
In Abstract: Italy Two Week Tour
That was our magical two-week tour of Italy, and as you’ll be able to see, there’s a variety of nice locations to go to on this itinerary.
I want we had longer, there’s a lot on this space to see and do.
You probably have extra time, you might contemplate including Lake Garda and Lake Como that are additionally on this area and could possibly be a wonderful addition to your Italy itinerary if in case you have extra time.
You possibly can additionally discover the South of Italy, and add Naples or Sorrento to go to Pompeii, however I’d skip the Amalfi Coast because it’s method too touristy now – Positano can also be very costly, and we personally suppose Cinque Terre has extra allure. However that’s simply us!
So now you’re prepared for an unforgettable journey by the landscapes of Northern Italy, the place you’ll be able to style the flavors and take up the historical past of Italy from Rome to Venice.
This itinerary has the right mix of historical wonders, inventive masterpieces, and the pure magnificence that defines this fascinating nation. Buon viaggio!